Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Elizabeth Gilbert: A new way to think about creativity

memo to ms. martin: you showed us this video in class last year.

The point she makes about "genuises" or muses and how in the renaissance there were no more "genuises" and how that is too much for one person is interesting, how she said that it was like a protective wall, if you made something that sucked "everyone knew your genuis was lame".

The first time I saw this video I loved the thunder barreling poem, and how the woman would run into her house to grab her pen and paper to write. I thought that it was such a amusing way to think of your creative process. And the guy in his car hearing a song and trying to remember it and yells at the sky "excuse me do you not see that I am driving?!?! If you come back later I can nuture you, otherwise go bother someone else".

and when she applies the yelling to the sky theory to her own work,
"listen you thing, you and I both know that if this book isn't brillant it is not entirely my fault. If you want this book to be better then you have to show up and do your part of the deal. I would like the record to reflect today that I did my part of the job." Haha.

I think she is such a great puble speaker, her words flow and the stories flow together so nicely. I love the story of the dancer and how at point he jumps through fire and is a "glimpse of god", then wakes up in the morning an realizes what if I never reach this climax in my life again?

by far she is my favorite speaker on our video list and that I have probably seen overall, the thing is I don't know why I like her so much.

Either way OLE! to her.

1 comment:

  1. I know. A really good rock and Roll critic once said that he could always tell you why he didn't like something, but the stuff he really thought was fantastic left him at a loss for words. He didn't know why he liked it.

    I think the things we like best (if we are even a tiny bit smart) is something complex, that engages us on many levels: emotional, visual, complex, changing. I think what I like best about this video is that she does 2 things- encourages you to not be afraid to begin your creative work whether you are in the mood or not, and gives you permission to not be GREAT everytime.

    ReplyDelete